Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Tuesday of the Fifth Week
Reflection
“Who are you?” the Pharisees ask Jesus.
“You will realize that I AM” and “the one who sent me is with me”, says Jesus.
 “He has not left me alone” and “what I do is pleasing to Him”.
And from Psalm 102: “Hide not your face from me in the day of my distress.”

Jesus knows who He is and why He’s here, and He knows that He is never alone.

If I could summarize the faith given to me by my parents, it is this simple and foundational belief. They introduced me to Jesus, showed me how to know and talk with Him and with my Father, and to listen and watch for the Spirit. It is a life-long relationship that is nurtured through time and experience, like any human relationship.

I’ve always known that I’m not alone, and while I strive to do what pleases God, I also believe that God’s love for me is not dependent on my efforts. My part in the relationship is to trust and be open to receiving God’s grace and love. I often fail, but God continues in His part offering love, grace, blessings, beauty, goodness.

The hope I see in Psalm 102 is that God doesn’t hide from me when I’m in distress. I put up barriers of fear, worry, judgment, and self-centeredness, so it isn’t God who is hiding, but me. It’s like I put on glasses that narrow and blur my vision so I can’t see God. God hasn’t changed. I’m the one stumbling around trying to fix things myself. But I am never alone, God is always there, embracing me in the relationship of love that Jesus reveals.

Prayer
Jesus, help me see who You are and that You are with me always. Amen.

Jan Hancock M ’12, P ’99 and ’09 Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: Numbers 21:4-9
Psalm 102:2-3, 16-21
Gospel: John 8:21-30

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: