Saturday, March 7, 2020

Saturday of the First Week
Reflection
In today’s Gospel, Jesus addresses one of the most basic teachings of Christianity. He tells his disciples: “You have heard that it was said that you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” This is a radical departure from the way that most people of the time (or our time) think. In fact, this is probably a bewildering life view to most people. I recently read that Freud reacted very strongly to this very Gospel. He wrote: “Why should we do it? What good will it do us? If I love someone, he must deserve it in some way.” He goes on to say that he believes that his neighbor has no love for him and often does him harm. To this famous atheist, this belief made sense.

But then again, as He often does, Jesus turns a dominant belief of the day upside down and asks us to do something that is seemingly impossible—to love the very people we would rather hate! I find this extremely hard to do in my own life when there are people whose beliefs and behavior are so antithetical to my own and who seem to manifest evil at every turn. It is so easy to condemn them and wish them ill. It is so satisfying and makes me feel self-righteous. But Jesus asks me not only to love them but to pray for them as well? This is an enormous challenge.


Prayer
Jesus, this Lent help me to be less self-righteous and more loving towards everyone, but especially all those who are so hard to love. Help me to love them and pray that one day we will all be filled with the joy that comes from following Your teachings of radical and unconditional love.

Vince Bolduc, Professor of Sociology


 
Scripture
First Reading: Deuteronomy 26:16-19
Psalm 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8
Gospel: Matthew 5:43-48

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: