Monday, March 23, 2020

Monday of the Fourth Week
Reflection
I take two lessons from today’s rich readings.

The first lesson surrounds my faith. Does my faith hinge on proof?  Does my faith hold together by facts, by figures?  Does my faith depend strictly on miraculous displays of God’s glory?  Do I require that God validate, that God substantiate, that God demonstrate?  I just wish that God would show me a sign. Give me a miracle. Lend me a hand. 

I’ve got to ask why the Word of God isn’t sufficient to feed my faith.  Why isn’t His holy language ample sustenance, plenty of food, a smorgasbord for my table?

I learn today to see that Jesus’ curing of the official’s son isn’t the actual miracle. The actual miracle is, in fact, that the official believes Jesus’ word before seeing. The miracle is that the official believes at the very holy moment of Jesus’ spoken holy word. The actual miracle is that he need not run home to see his son cured in order to believe. Oh yes! 

The second lesson is in witnessing how Jesus relates to outsiders.  He receives the Other, this gentile, this official of the King, as a fellow sacred being on this earth.  Plain and simple.  We are one people joined in Divinity.

Prayer
May I completely know that my belief is the miracle I’ve been searching for.  As I continue to travel from home to outskirts back to home again, may I see all others as me.  Dear Jesus, heal my hungry heart and repair my divisions.  Amen.

Antonia Messuri
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and Director of the Office of Accessibility Services

Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 65:17-21
Psalm 30:2, 4-6, 11-12a, 13b
Gospel: John 4:43-54


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: