Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday of the Third Week
Feast of Saint Joseph

Reflection
There are times in my life when reading Scripture makes sense, has meaning and is abundantly applicable to my life.  As I read today’s readings over and over again, my heart was heavy with confusion as to how to make sense of it all.  Perhaps it was just a moment in time, I thought, so I put them down and waited.  Nothing.  Dry.  Uninspired.  I waited some more.  Same.  And then I realized that perhaps that is all there is in this moment.  And it became very clear to me that the act of contemplation about today’s readings brought me to acceptance. Acceptance that things do not always work out the way we anticipate, hope for or would like.  I wanted to be inspired and craft an inspired reflection. That was not to be.  I think Joseph may have felt this way as well.  Things did not really turn out the way he imagined.  But in both Joseph’s case (a life changing event) and in my case (a very small task), faith brought us to the same place.  I believe that God is present always and our acceptance of God’s presence in our daily lives both big and small lead to greater faith, larger acceptance of difficult situations and patience with ourselves.

Prayer
Good and Gracious God I thank You for Your gentle presence in all things.  May my faith lead to acceptance and my acceptance lead to a patient peace on this and every day.

Jeff Vincent, ’93, M’07, P’21
Director, Residential Life and Community Standards and Assistant Dean of Students

Scripture
First Reading: 2 Samuel 7:4-5a, 12-14a, 16
Psalm 89:2-5, 27, 29
Second Reading: Romans 4:13, 16-18, 22
Gospel: Matthew 1:16, 18-21, 24a or Luke 2:41-51a

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: