Monday, March 16, 2020

Monday of the Third Week
Reflection
When I first read the story of Na’aman, I couldn’t help but relate to him.  Recently I suffered a serious concussion that left me down and out.  I was so angry at God for letting this happen and like Na’aman, I was angry, “...I thought that he would surely come out and stand there to invoke the Lord his God, and would move his hand over the spot, and thus cure the leprosy.”  I don’t know how many times I called out expecting God’s hand to come down and cure my brain injury completely.

Instead of God curing my suffering instantly, no matter how many times I asked, He used this opportunity to direct me on a new path in my faith life.  Similar to guiding Na’aman to a different river to find healing and have a conversion experience to believe in God, God guided me to grow closer to Him in another way.  He taught me how to enjoy being with Him in the silence, the silence I originally hated so much in my recovery.  In this new form of prayer, I was given the opportunity to not only grow closer to God in a new way but also find healing in my recovery.

Through His own way, God will direct us to find healing rivers in our own lives.  Like Na’aman expecting Elisha to heal him instantly or reasoning that the rivers closer to him should be good enough, what I think is best might not really be.  I have to learn to listen to God and where He might be directing me.

Prayer
In times of pain and suffering, O Lord, help me to find You.  Open my heart to where You might be directing me and guide me onto a path of healing.  I ask this in Your name, Amen.

Maura Grogan, ’14

Scripture
First Reading: 2 Kings 5:1-15b
Psalm 42:2-3; 43:3-4
Gospel: Luke 4:24-30

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: