Thursday, March 26, 2020

Thursday of the Fourth Week
Reflection
In the readings for today, the ancient Israelites and the contemporaries of Jesus shared a similar affliction.  They could not bring themselves to see and appreciate gifts of immediate, abundant, immeasurable value.  The Israelites lost sight of their covenant with the Lord who had freed them from the bonds of slavery.  Those conversing with Jesus found it difficult to look up from studying their Scriptures to see those very writings fulfilled in their presence.   The people led by Moses preferred the bovine to the divine!  Those addressed by Jesus were more intrigued with the words of an oddly curious fellow out in the wilds of the desert. 

How often are we similarly “stiff-necked”?  Blind to gifts of immeasurable value given to each of us, personally.  A role in divine creation—our uniquely own “am, here and now”.  An immortal soul of our own.  Promises of salvation and eternal life made directly to each of us.  Holy cow!?

Instead, we grouse about the Patriot’s blowing their chances for the Playoffs, our bosses don’t appreciate us, the B+ should have been an A-, the skis we want aren’t in stock.  Spending our time and energy, fretting and molding little cattle-shaped worries rather than pausing, raising our eyes and saying, “Wow, thank you.”

Maybe part of the challenge is that our true gifts are of such value that we are incapable of finding the words to sufficiently express the breadth and depth of our gratitude.  Perhaps we will someday be handed a new and divine lexicon to help with that.  On the “required reading” shelf in the heavenly bookstore.

Prayer


Open my eyes, Lord   Help me to see your face   Open my eyes, Lord   Help me to see
Open my ears, Lord   Help me to hear your voice   Open my ears, Lord   Help me to hear
Open my heart, Lord   Help me to know your gifts   Open my heart, Lord   Help me to say, thank you.  Amen.

Church Hindes, ’69, Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: Exodus 32:7-14
Psalm 106:19-23
Gospel: John 5:31-47

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: