Monday, March 22, 2021

Monday of the Fifth Week

Reflection

Today’s readings offer views into how I may weave more space for mercy into my daily living. One dictionary definition of mercy is “compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one’s power to punish or harm.” In the First Reading, there is mercy given by young Daniel. It might have been easy for young Daniel to go along with the elders, but he bravely chooses to be an upstander. He says, “I will have no part in the death of this woman.” As Daniel stands up here, he offers mercy for himself. In doing so, he also offers mercy to Susanna. I imagine that this mercy also extended into the community that day and perhaps the days following that day.

In today’s Gospel, Jesus offers mercy for the woman accused of adultery when He says, “let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her”. When Jesus offers this mercy, He leads the way for others to offer mercy to her and also themselves. This mercy extends to the community.


Prayer

Dear Lord, please allow me to open the space to give myself mercy as I travel through daily living while I also allow myself the space to give mercy to others. Let me be open to be a reflection of Your mercy in my life and in the lives of others.

Jane Hingston Wilkins, ‘01


Scripture
First Reading: Daniel 13:1-9, 15-17, 19-30, 33-62 or 13:41c-62
Psalm 23:1-6
Gospel: John 8:12-20


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: