Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Tuesday of the Second Week
Feast of Saint Joseph
 Reflection
My wife and I welcomed a baby boy into our family in October, and it was the most beautiful moment of my life. Before the birth, we planned for months. Where would he go to daycare? What color crib would he have? What kind of bottles should we buy? The months of planning were helpful, and since his birth we have had many family members and friends supporting us. Even with all of the planning and support, I am frequently overwhelmed by the responsibility of fatherhood. 

Today’s Gospel in Matthew speaks of an angel beckoning Joseph not to be afraid to bring Mary and her child into his family. The Gospel states, “When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him.”  I have always admired Joseph for his faith, but now as a father myself, I am in awe of him. As a new dad, I second-guess most of my decisions, but Joseph did not hesitate to follow God’s lead. Even if Joseph felt nervous or afraid, he trusted that God would guide his family.

Prayer
Joseph, I ask for intercession in my life and the lives of all fathers. As we seek to build and maintain healthy, loving families, teach us to trust in God’s guidance, even when we don’t feel prepared to face the challenges of fatherhood. 

Alex Boesch, Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: 2 Samuel 7:4-5a, 12-14a, 16
Psalm 89:2-5, 27, 29
Second Reading: Romans 4:13, 16-18, 22
Gospel: Matthew 1:16, 18-21, 24a or Luke 2:41-51a


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: