Thursday, March 7, 2019

Thursday after Ash Wednesday
Reflection
What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?

The message in our readings today is clear: choose God.  In a world inundated with instant choices, screens vying for our attention, the nonstop media feeds, and posts begging for our “likes”, the message becomes easily muddled. We are freshly into a new Lent, the ashes barely washed from our foreheads.  Our 40 days and 40 nights await us.

Moses is speaking, telling the people to choose life, “to choose by loving the LORD, your God, heeding His voice, and holding fast to Him.” The Psalm entreats us to delight in the law of the Lord.  In the Gospel, Jesus tells us to take up our cross daily and deny ourselves. I find myself longing to respond, to repent, wanting so much to have a holy Lent, to truly ready my heart for Easter again.  Take up my cross? Deny myself? It sounds too hard, uncomfortable, scary.

I don’t know the way.  Everything in me wants to ignore the message and allow the ways of the world to soothe my restless soul.  Yet, the call of Jesus, “Follow me”, is real. I know the promise it holds—the promise of renewal, of hope, of Easter morning.  Maybe the way is found humbly loving our God one brave, blessed day at a time. Isn’t this what Lent is for?
Prayer
Jesus, keep calling me.  Give me the courage to follow You, to quiet the many voices screaming for attention that distract me from life in You.  Help me to love You more each day. Amen.

Meeghan Bird Matarazzo, ’96, Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: Deuteronomy 30:15-20
Psalm 1:1-4, 6
Gospel: Luke 9:22-25


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: