Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Wednesday of the Third Week
Reflection
In the readings from today, we are reminded to obey laws and essentially to continue to prepare the way for Lent. I think this reminder comes at the perfect time. We are just about halfway through Lent and it is right around this time when I begin to question myself and ask why I am doing all of this work. I begin to get tired but the Gospel says,“whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.” God is aware of that and gives us these readings as if to say “keep going.”

I also noticed that in both readings it mentions not just obeying the commandments but teaching them as well. Not only are we called to obey the laws but we are also called to “teach.” Teaching might sound intimidating; I am an education major who wants to teach for the rest of my life, but that line still sounds intimidating. I once heard a homily about these two women who would take the train into NYC together each morning. On Mondays, they would ask each other how their weekend was, and one lady would always mention that she went to Mass. After hearing this each week, year after year the other lady decided to go to RCIA. I think the lady in the story could be considered a ‘teacher.’ This story reminds me that teaching doesn’t have to be intimidating. I think it can be as simple as being an example for others to follow, inviting others to Mass, and simply talking about going to Mass and one’s faith.

Prayer
Dear Lord, please fill me with Your spirit throughout this Lenten journey and help me to obey Your laws.  Amen.

Margaret McKeon, ’19



Scripture

First Reading: Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9
Psalm 147:12-13, 15-16, 19-20
Gospel: Matthew 5:17-19


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: