Saturday, March 3, 2018

Saturday of the Second Week
Reflection
“The Lord is kind and full of compassion, slow to anger, abounding in mercy.” How beautiful and comforting is Psalm 145, which encapsulates one of today’s major themes — God’s unwavering love and willingness to forgive! As we follow the sojourn of the prodigal son, after losing everything, he finally recognizes the need for help and believes that in acknowledging his dissipated lifestyle and asking for forgiveness, his father will at least provide for his basic needs as a hired worker.

As we continue our Lenten journey with the hope of “truly becoming in the Presence of the Risen Lord,” let us take a few moments to pray and contemplate upon our relationship with others and with God, our forgiving Father. Consider the following: Just as the Father showers me with His love and compassion, do I recognize His gifts as resources to share love and mercy with others, as did St. Katharine Drexel whose feast we celebrate today, or do I ungratefully seek the fulfillment of my own “agenda”?  Do I expect more from those who are the closest to me or do I earnestly try to model the life of Christ with selfless love, understanding and patience?

Mercy. Forgiveness. Steadfast Love. Today’s readings send a message loud & clear—a message of a Loving God waiting for us, with open arms, to return.  For me, Lent has always been a time of facing the darkness inside myself, taking a good hard look at the many, MANY ways I fail and turn away from God.  While it is uncomfortable and humbling, I look forward to the time the Church sets aside for us to spend our time in the desert, to really work at being who we are called to be.  I need the reminder to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation, to spend more time in prayer, to come before Jesus as I am and sit in awe of the One who loves me. 

Yet, I want to hide; I find comfort in the busyness and muck of my everyday life.  Making time to be still seems less important and as the days of Lent fly by I find myself saying, “Next week.  Tomorrow. There’s time.” I am a contradiction.  I long for what Lent invites me to, yet I still fail.  We are all invited to come home

Years ago, as I was working with a group of children preparing for their first Sacraments of Reconciliation & Eucharist, we were reading today’s Gospel—but it was introduced as the story of “The Forgiving Father” (as opposed to the way I had always known the story of “The Prodigal Son”). The focus was not on the failings of the son.  The emphasis was how Loving & Forgiving the Father is.  Maybe Lent isn’t really so much about our failings, but rather our longing to be with the Forgiving Father who waits for us.  We are called to draw near to the Jesus who loves us in a way we will never truly grasp.  Fr. Mike Cronogue, a man who embodied God’s love & mercy in my life often said to me, “God loves you in the striving.” It seems too simplistic, but what if it really is that “easy?” So let us strive. Let us take this time to be still enough to just be loved.

Prayer
Father, I pray that in preparing for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, You may enlighten my path to understanding and enrich my life with the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. That I may gratefully know how to forgive with mercy and compassion in all that I do, I place my trust in You.

Maureen Munn Condon, Member of the Worshipping Community



Scripture
First Reading: Micah 7:14-15, 18-20
Psalm 103:1-4, 9-12
Gospel: Luke 15:1-3, 11-32


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: