Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Tuesday of the Third Week
Reflection
As is the case in my life on many occasions, I have a tendency to procrastinate.  So it follows that I did in fact procrastinate in writing this reflection.  My friend once told me that procrastination thoughtfully placed is just intentional, patient reflection.  Perhaps that applies here, because as I procrastinated, it turned into intentional patient reflection.  This process of mine struck me as overthinking it as I read the reading for the 25th time — Azariah had it right.  The first line in the readings today say: Azariah stood up in the fire and prayed aloud!  He did not overthink it.  He went right to work, right to action and had the courage to say it aloud.  Today, that call to action is applied to our Gospel in the form of forgiveness.  Peter approached Jesus and asked Him:

"Lord, if my brother sins against me,
how often must I forgive him?
As many as seven times?"
Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.

Forgiveness, it strikes me, is not something that requires procrastination (intentional, patient reflection) but rather action!  And not just regular old, run-of-mill action, but action times seventy seven.  The call to include the act of forgiveness in our daily lives is clear in our readings today.  It is not a call to half forgive or forgive sometimes, but to make it part of our way of being. 

Prayer
Lord of love, show us the way of forgiveness.  Impart in us the strength to see the frailty of a misgiving, a mistake, a misunderstanding with our neighbor and look to forgive.  Impart in us the strength to receive this forgiveness with an open heart and the will to love again.  Be our guide gently reminding us to act, to forgive, and to be willing to be forgiven.

Jeff Vincent, ’93, M’15, Assistant Dean of Students

Scripture

First Reading: Deuteronomy 3:25, 34-43
Psalm: 25:4-5ab, 6-9
Gospel: Matthew 18:21-35

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: