Saturday, March 24, 2018

Saturday of the Fifth Week
Reflection
In the first reading from Ezekiel, the Lord speaks of bringing together the Israelites as His people. He says, “No longer shall they defile themselves with their idols, their abominations, and all their transgressions. I will deliver them from all their sins of apostasy, and cleanse them so that they may be my people and I may be their God.”

On the eve of Holy Week, I read this as a beautiful call from our Lord to re-center our lives on Him. Far too often I place “idols” before Him. As a young professional with a whole career ahead of me, I find myself desiring money and notoriety because I believe it will bring comfort and happiness for my family and me. Why do I fall for this fallacy when my parents and grandparents have all wisely told me that “money can’t buy happiness” and “faith, family, and friends are the most important”? There’s no simple answer to that question. However, I am comforted by the first reading because God kindly reminds all of us to not put idols before Him. This means I am not alone in this struggle.

Prayer
Going into Holy Week, we pray: God, may we all center our thoughts and desires on You. Let us trust You to guide us amid our temporal fears and anxieties.

Alex Boesch, Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: Ezekiel 37:21-28
Psalm: Jeremiah 31:10-13
Gospel: John 11:45-56

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: