Saturday, March 10, 2018

Saturday of the Third Week
Reflection
As we continue to celebrate the Lenten season, let us ask ourselves: Who am I in God’s eyes? Some people donate to charities, others volunteer, and yet others spread God’s word. We all please God in many aspects of our lives, but He sees where we can do a little more. Can you be a friend to someone who is alone? Could you spend more time studying Scripture? Do you have a talent that God has given you to help the world become a better place? Like the tax collector in the parable, if we can acknowledge where we may have been led astray, our minds may be opened to a new light. What pleases God is when we are actively seeking out to improve our own relationship with Him and with our neighbors. God notices when we challenge ourselves and go outside our comfort zone to help others. These outstanding acts for ourselves are significant to making change a reality.

Someone once told me that in prayer, talking to God is important, but so is listening. Next time you pray, maybe try being silent and let God talk to you. Recall that in 1 Kings 19:11-13, after the earthquake and the fire, it was in the silence that God spoke to Elijah. Maybe in the silence, God will reveal to us how we can improve in His eyes.

Prayer
Lord, open my eyes so that I may see myself. Open my ears so that I may hear Your call. Open my heart so that I may love like You. Give me the strength to do Your will.

Mitch McDonald, ’20


Scripture

First Reading: Hosea 6:1-6
Psalm 51:3-4, 18-21b
Gospel: Luke 18:9-14

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: