Thursday, March 1, 2018

Thursday of the Second Week
Reflection
Hope is such a beautiful and abstract notion. Sometimes it is just the thing that keeps me going; mind, body, and soul, and sometimes it feels simply too vast. When hope takes over, I feel light and energized; I feel empowered and unstoppable. In the moments that I can’t quite embrace it, things feel uncertain and lonely. So, what does it mean to be hopeful? To be open. To allow the unexpected to be a possibility. To accept inspiration willingly. To trust. To have faith.

As I read Jeremiah, I thought about the power of hope in allowing us to stretch, to interrupt fear, and to provide. I thought about the importance of being grounded and rooted deeply in what I believe, who I am, and how I show up in the world. In a world that presents me daily with facts, data and “unquestionable reality,” elements that don’t paint the whole picture for me, I’m often left thinking about the depth of life and the vibrancy of the natural world as I reflect on what it is that sustains, inspires, and empowers me. This reading brought me back to hope with the image of tree roots deep in the earth creating strength and connection. As Jeremiah teaches us about hope and trust in God being life-giving and sustaining, what is it for you? What sustains you because your roots are deep?

Prayer
Dear God, may You bring openness, light, and abundant hope to all Your children.

Lara Scott, Director of the M.O.V.E. Office

Scripture
First Reading: Jeremiah 17:5-10
Psalm 1:1-4, 6
Gospel: Luke 16:19-31

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: