Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Wednesday of the Fifth Week

Reflection

Looking at something from a different perspective often invites criticism, attempts at shaming, blaming, and downright violence against that person for their stance.

This seems to happen almost regularly in today’s society, as it did in the time of rule by King Nebuchadnezzar. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, young Jewish men, were thrown into a white-hot furnace, because they refused to bow down and worship the king’s god / golden statue. There is no amount of discourse that can change this king’s mind. Obstinance.

However, we see the 3 boys’ faith. And we see Jesus showing up walking, perhaps even dancing (as I envision), in the fire alongside them. Let’s just say, after witnessing this, that the king TOTALLY changed his tune!

Again, we see the theme of closed-mind thinking in our second reading in the attitude of the Jews, as Jesus is teaching / enlightening about true freedom that they seem to not want to hear. I shiver to think what they are missing out on here! 

As we say, “It’s my way or the highway” - they’re not having it. I think it’s a larger comment on humanity: “Don’t give me any new information. I’ve already made up my mind.”  

We become slaves to our obstinance. 

But to actively listen? Is to learn; and to learn is to grow. 

Jesus implies here that anyone who chooses a dead ended life and stops growing, is in sin, and THAT is slavery.

Prayer

Lord Jesus, help me to have an open mind, to bend and flow, as a stalk of grass in the breeze, and a winding stream negotiating boulders, as I follow you: leading me to where I should go. And let me hear, respect, and love all other creatures along my way. Allow me to always grow into YOU. Amen.

Maura Kelley,
Worshipping Community



Scripture
First Reading: Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95
Psalm: Daniel 3:52-56
Gospel: John 8:31-42


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: