Saturday, March 23, 2024

Saturday of the Fifth Week

Reflection

“God wants a voice. I am a prophet for God.” Recently I saw these words written on a poster which a young woman was holding on the side of a very busy road. The following week I heard a sermon by Bishop Robert Barron entitled, “Listen to the Voice of God”. I got the very strong sense that God was trying to tell me something; to send me a message as I reflected on this Saturday’s Gospel. As high priest and prophet, was Caiaphas listening to the voice of God when he proclaimed his message that Jesus must be killed?

Because of Jesus’ growing popularity and threat to the political order, the Chief Priests and Pharisees looked to the Sanhedrin and Caiaphas for answers. As the high priest, Caiaphas “prophesied that Jesus was going to die for the nation….” Jesus must be killed. Although the message was clear, the objective of Caiaphas was to eliminate the threat of Jesus and to appease the population. He did not understand that his actions set into motion the Passion of Christ. Jesus would die on the cross for our salvation. In that sense, Caiaphas did not hear the voice of God, but the voice of the people.

How do we hear God’s voice and what is our response to God? When we hear God’s voice, do we really listen, or do we interpret his voice and thus his message to align with what we want to hear?

Prayer

Lord, help me to hear your voice and grant me the courage to act according to your will. Amen.

Ann Pigeon
Worshipping Community


Scripture
First Reading: Ezekiel 37:21-28
Psalm: Jeremiah 31:10-13
Gospel: John 11:45-56

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: