Monday, March 6, 2017

Monday of the First Week
Reflection
During Lent each year, I often reflect on the question, what am I DOING?  Not so much on the question what am I not doing.  And with that in mind, I often talk to my kids about making a Lenten promise to themselves to do something proactive and positive, not simply avoiding doing something.  When they were little, that would look like complimenting my sister (doing) as opposed to not eating candy (not doing).  As they have gotten older, this conversation has evolved into chats about how do I want more in this world?  What I DO is who I AM.  I, of course, am still challenged by this premise myself. 

In today’s readings, we are given a lot of directives on what not to do (you shall not...), but Jesus tells us exactly what to DO as well.   In short, He implores us to take care of each other.  “Amen I say to you, whatever you DID for one of these least brothers of mine, you DID for me.”  What is missing from Jesus’ guidance to us today is any sort of qualifier.  He did not say love your neighbor as yourself, when it is convenient for you to do so.  He simply said love your neighbor as yourself.  And, in this act of LOVE, is an act of DOING!  We might find this act of doing in the simple compliment of a sibling or the more complicated act of ministering to those in prison and everything in between.  But it seems clear to me in today’s readings that Jesus has called us to DO and ACT! 

Prayer
Good and gracious God, help us to act with kindness always and love constantly.  Walk with us.  Guide our hearts and minds as we love our neighbor as ourselves.

Jeff Vincent, ’93, M’15, Assistant Dean of Students

Scripture
First Reading: Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18
Psalm 19:8-10, 15
Gospel: Matthew 25:31-46


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: