Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Wednesday of the Fifth Week

Reflection

The truth will set you free…

This line from today’s Gospel is a powerful one, both personally and on a greater social scale. There is so much that binds me and stifles me, my own sin that trips me up and separates me from God.  Some of this binding is done to me, but much of it is self-imposed, so wrapped up that I can’t see the truth and beauty, the mercy and compassion, that God offers to me. Lent provides a time to see the truth of God – the deep, unconditional love through Jesus – and to let go of the things that are binding me. And the truth is, this love that God offers dwells within each of us, and when we come to embrace this truth, it frees us to offer this love to others.

On communal level, there is also so much that binds us. Social and racial injustice, harm to Creation, violence and harm and discord between us. The way and path towards healing is difficult and hard. As we struggle towards extending love and compassion to those around us, we need to try to recognize the truth of how we are extending harm to one another and this frees us to turn towards reconciliation and healing instead.

When I reflect on our first reading of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego walking into the hot, fiery furnace, I’m inspired by their incredible trust in God. They walked in freedom despite the “fire” they were thrust into because they knew the truth of God – that their God of mercy, love, and compassion would be with them. May this Lent be a time for us to embrace the truth and walk in freedom.

Prayer

Merciful God, help us let go of the things that bind us and give us the courage to stand up for what is right and true.  May we trust that You will be with us, even among the “fires” in our lives. Let us remain in Your word as true disciples. Amen.

Anna Lester, ’98, M’11, Office of Admissions



Scripture
First Reading: Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95
Psalm: Daniel 3:52-56
Gospel: John 8:31-42


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website