Sunday, March 26, 2023

Fifth Sunday of Lent

Reflection

“Lazarus come out.” Today we hear of Jesus giving life itself to someone who died. This is a sign of the Resurrection Power of Jesus. It is meant to be a reality in our lives.

The process of moving from death to Resurrection is going on in our lives at every moment. God calls us from death to life and sometimes God asks us to call others out of the tomb. These are the dynamics of living Resurrection Faith. This is the faith that helped me come out of the tomb created by Hurricane Ian. Our Resurrection Faith helped me know that the destruction of Ian would not be the final word in this experience. People from all over the world, including St. Michael’s College, reached out to help us and made God’s loving presence real to us. 

Hearing the words, How can I help, brought light into our darkness. They were Jesus calling us to come out of the tomb. This is God’s Resurrection Power acting to build a new world within us and around us. This is our Resurrection Hope. This is the faith that opens us up to face any fear or anxiety with genuine hope in the Lord’s promise to be with us always.

Prayer

Let us pray.  God help me to hear your voice calling me from death to life.  Help me to let go of my fear and anxiety and help me grow in hope as I prepare for Easter. Amen

Fr. Stanley Deresienski, S.S.E.,’75, Saint Michael’s College Board of Trustees


Scripture

First Reading: Ezekiel 37:12-14

Psalm 130:1-8

Second Reading: Romans 8:8-11

Gospel: John 11:1-45



Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website