Thursday, March 2, 2023

Thursday of the First Week

Reflection

It’s not about the words, rather it’s about the verbs! Ask, Seek, Find, Do.

There are not prescriptive words in these readings that direct how we should correctly frame the prayers we say or in the requests we make of God.

Instead, we see in Matthew that Jesus is focused not on what we say but on what we do. Trust is the foundation for living our lives. Do we believe that if we ask for God’s help, we will receive it? That doors will open if we knock? That what we seek will be found? Why do many of my prayers seem to go unanswered? Can I trust that, like the psalmist, God does answer me? Perhaps what I seek is not what I truly need; maybe what I find is not what I expect, or the response is in a form that I don’t understand or recognize?

Jesus points out that parents know to give their children good things. It seems obvious that if we can do that, God can be trusted to do so much more. We don’t need the correct words, but we do need to trust that God hears and provides. Our part in the relationship is in the verbs.

Prayer

Lord Jesus, help us look not to what is seen, but to what is unseen; for what is seen is transitory, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Cor. 4:18)

Jan Hancock, M’12
Worshipping Community


Scripture
First Reading: Ester C: 12, 14-16, 23-25
Psalm 138:1-3, 7C-8
Gospel: Matthew 7:7-12

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website