Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Wednesday of the Fourth Week
Reflection
Today’s reading brought up two themes for me. First, we are called to share and spread the good. Isaiah reminds us of this with his words, “To restore the land and allot the desolate heritages, saying to the prisoners: Come out! To those in darkness: Show yourselves! Along the ways they shall find pasture, on every bare height shall their pastures be.” The second theme that emerges in the readings is that God is all powerful, has always been and always will be, and that we need to continue to put our trust in Him. Isaiah points this out for us when he says, “I will cut a road through all my mountains, and make my highways level. See, some shall come from afar, others from the north and the west, and some from the land of Syene. Sing out, O heavens, and rejoice, O earth, break forth into song, you mountains. For the LORD comforts His people and shows mercy to his afflicted.” John’s Gospel reinforces this message when Jesus says, “Amen, amen, I say to you, the Son cannot do anything on His own, but only what He sees the Father doing; for what He does, the Son will do also.” John’s Gospel also reminds us to believe in God and put our trust in Him. This is especially timely message as we are only a couple weeks away from Easter and the Resurrection. I see these readings as hopeful and encouraging as we near the end of Lent. The closing line of John’s Gospel really emphasizes that God is here to help and guide us, "I cannot do anything on my own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the One who sent Me."

Prayer
Lord, help me to be open to Your calling and help me to see the plan You have laid out for me.

Matt Seklecki, ’11, M’17,  Senior Associate Director of Admission



Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 49:8-15
Psalm 145:8-9, 13c-14, 17-18
Gospel: John 5:17-30

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: