Thursday, April 4, 2019

Thursday of the Fourth Week
Reflection
In today’s readings, the voice of the Lord is passionate and stern.  We are asked to consider our place of faith. Where do we see Jesus in our everyday lives?  Do we find Christ in the New Testament or do we manufacture Him someplace else? 

Today’s readings prompt me to know it’s up to me. I can turn away from the face of God and go seek glory in a thousand different places, a thousand other ways.  I might look for God in my pocket change. I might wend my way through all the stacks and racks of books in all the libraries searching for some other answer.  I might even broaden my field further by extricating my roots altogether and taking countless journeys round and round searching for some other suns.

But look. The question’s the same: Have I exchanged God’s glory, my birth rite, for a “molten calf,” some “grass eating bullock”?  In that sort of swap, I’d be “stiff necked,” crying out, lost, and “depraved.”

May the light of God consume me.  May the glory of God overtake me, make me turn to Him. 

Prayer
O Lord, make me a placeholder of Your abiding love. Make me turn to loving You who, in turn, will turn me into the fire of Your love. I wish to be Your shining lamp. Favor me, and have Your holy fire turn me into holy divinity. Amen.  

Antonia Messuri, Assistant Dean of Academics and Director of Academic Enrichment Commons

Scripture
First Reading: Exodus 32:7-14
Psalm 106:19-23
Gospel: John 5:31-47

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: