Monday, April 15, 2019

Monday of Holy Week
Reflection
When I was a child, I remember Holy Week fondly.  My favorite day of the week was the Tenebrae on Wednesday.  In my church growing up, we had a music minister, and family friend, named George Charon who sang at the Tenebrae service.  Mr. Charon was not only a gifted musician, but he was a man of profound faith and had a genuine belief in the power of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and it came through in every note!  I was brought to tears every time Mr. Charon sang at the Tenebrae.  My tears were also a reflection of the importance of this time of year.  As a child, Holy Week would begin and things would feel more serious, more prayerful, calmer.  It was the anticipation of the Easter celebration.

In today’s readings, the Monday of Holy Week, we see folks gathering with Lazarus who was just raised from the dead.  Jesus was there with Mary and many in the town came to see this miracle.  The Gospel reading says many Jews came to see and the chief priests were plotting too as many turned away and began to believe in Jesus because of this miracle.  It is that feeling of belief that fills this Monday of Holy Week.  It is all coming to head. The people can feel it. In the first reading, it states, “I formed you, and set you as a covenant of the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.”  Jesus is the light.  The people can feel it. 

As Mr. Charon would express in his every note the power of the life, the death, and the resurrection of Jesus, on this Monday of Holy Week, we too begin to feel the immense importance of this very special week.

Prayer
Jesus, You came into this world to raise us all, to be the light that shines where there is darkness.  Many people in our lives, like Mr. Charon, show us that this light can surround all things.  Lord, let Your light shine in me with a grateful heart, through me with love in my hands, and around me, treating all with kindness as I walk through my days. 

Jeff Vincent, ’93, M’07, P’21, Assistant Dean of Students



Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 42:1-7
Psalm 27:1-3, 13-14
Gospel: John 12:1-11

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: