Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tuesday of Holy Week
Reflection
The Scripture readings for today focuses on God as protector and healer which is important during the Lenten season. Even though God may not heal physical ailments that ourselves or our loved ones may experience, our faith in God brings us together and rallies support for those who experience suffering. By using God as our rock and sturdy foundation, we can then carry ourselves and others through hardships and tragedies. As Psalm 71 points out, “Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress.” Bracing ourselves in our faith is what helps us to emerge on the other side of suffering and fear and such faith must be in God and in our community. For, as seen in the Gospel reading, the faith of Jesus was betrayed by Judas and Peter, two of His trusted disciples who did not return the same faith in Him. 

This reminded me of how sometimes we may turn our backs on our community members for our own selfish reasons. Peter and Judas were too encapsulated by their own personal gain to see the effect that their actions would have on the other disciples and on Jesus. For this is why it says in the Gospel of John that Jesus stated, “My
children, I will be with you only a little while longer. You will look for me, and as I told the Jews, 'Where I go you cannot come,' so now I say it to you." He knew from the moment of their selfish betrayal that He would no longer be with His devout and loving disciples.  It is important to remember that faith is sacred and that having true faith will strength not only the individual, but the community as well.

Prayer
Lord, may You strengthen our faith in You each day and guide us to live selflessly among members of our community.

Marge Riccardelli, ’21



Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 49:1-6
Psalm 71:1-4a, 5ab-6ab, 15, 17
Gospel: John 13:21-33, 36-38

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: