Tuesday, March 24, 2015


Tuesday of the Fifth Week
Reflection
The underlying theme of today’s Scripture readings seems to be relentless, ever-enduring trust in the Lord. The trying circumstances and challenges of our lives can interfere with our connection to God and His word, bringing about questions and doubt. In the first reading, the Israelites demonstrated how “their patience [was] worn out by the[ir] journey” through the desert. Exhausted and angry, they express their frustration with God’s plan and His timing. How could the Lord subject them to what they believed to be such unnecessary suffering?

As is the case in many of our lives, at times the Lord’s reasoning is different from human understanding. Yes, there is a God present whose plan is far greater and more complex than can be fully understood; however, the distractions of my daily life influence me to become dismissive of this. There are times when I fail to see that God is really for me and that I must come to Him as I am at this moment, with the faith I have, regardless of how great or little its depth and how it has changed over time.

One of my favorite parables from the Bible is found in Matthew 17:20. It describes how “if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.” In difficult moments and my struggles to understand, I try to remind myself that God’s plan is at work and that He will help me persevere. The most challenging times in my life have brought about the most growth, bringing me closer to who God intended me to be.

 Placing trust in Him, with faith perhaps the size of a mustard seed, in these moments has been the source of some of the greatest blessings.

Prayer
Lord, please guide my thoughts, so that I am able to know Your presence in all people and circumstances. Please let me gain the humility and strength to come to You as I am and, through Your grace and mercy, allow me to surrender my will to Yours.

Rachel Carey, ’18


Scripture
First Reading: Numbers 21:4-9
Psalm 102:2-3, 16-21
Gospel: John 8:21-30

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

 

No comments: