Monday, March 2, 2015

Monday of the Second Week
Reflection
As the father of two sons, today’s readings highlight for me the unique relationship between father and child; and the challenges when each makes mistakes. As a father, I do my best, along with my wife, to be firm but fair to help my sons grow and develop into the adults I hope they will becomephysically, morally, and spiritually. I have to believe that this is the same expectation our heavenly Father has for us. He’s sent us prophets and His Son to teach us to be kind to one another, and grow into the people He made us to be.

Yet, just as my sons misbehave on occasion, sinning against each other, and against me and my wife; we as imperfect humans continue to sin against our Godover and over, generation after generation. So, just as my sons plead with me with puppy dog eyes to be gentle with them (and forget their transgressions of an hour ago) we, like Daniel and the psalmist, continue to plead with God to forgive us over and over.

And we as parents, myself included, are not above the fray. I sin, like many parents, when I forget to have patience with my sons. By forgetting the words of Christ, “stop condemning and you will not be condemned,” I join the disciples, the scribes, and the Pharisees as sinners.

So as we continue through Lent, let us remember to keep Jesus’ words in mind, “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” Let us be kind to our children, our parents, our colleagues, our friends, and our neighbors. Let us also take time to turn back to the lessons God continues to share with us.

Prayer
Dear Lord, be patient with us Your children. Continue to teach us, replenish our patience, and grant us a compassionate heart to share Your forgiveness as we continue to try to walk in Your ways.

Chad Ahern, ’99, M’12, Donor Relations Officer

 
Scripture
First Reading: Daniel 9:4b-10
Psalm 79:8-9, 11, 13
Gospel: Luke 6:36-38


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Ricardo in South Africa

Thank you for the message, I enjoy reading this daily and can only say Amen and yes we all fall short of His glory and mercy

Thank you