Friday, March 13, 2015


Friday of the Third Week

Reflection
One of the last lines in this Gospel is Jesus saying to the scribe, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.” This is a very powerful statement; it is one of calm reverence to wisdom, to peace, and to faith. The scribe, after listening to Jesus recite the first two commandments, responds with a deep understanding of what Jesus is trying to teach us, an understanding that I sometimes is feel lost upon myself.

“And to love Him with all your heart/with all your understanding/with all your strength/and to love your neighbor as yourself,” the scribe replies to Jesus. I find that this unparalleled love is something that we can all strive for. It is simple in words, but not in action. I know that I can get lost in the motions of the day, lost enough that I forget about all the wonderful people and beauty around me. This Scripture reminds me that we are all part of something bigger, something that we can turn to in times of need! The love we have for each other and God is not just a word we hear in church, it is something we experience every day.

​The connection between God’s love and us can be seen in all of the little things. The beautiful things, like the sunshine and the mountains, we can appreciate easily. But this Scripture has also reminded me that the love for my friends, for my family, and even for the people who smile at me as we pass in the hallway is just as much a part of our community of faith as anything. With this deliberate realization of love for God and our neighbors, we truly get closer and closer to the Kingdom of God.
 

Prayer
God, please help me to see how many gifts You have given me. Help me to love beyond measure, and celebrate the love I receive. Thank you

Erin Buckley, ’17

Scripture
First Reading: Hosea 14:2-10
Psalm 81:6c-11b, 14, 17
Gospel: Mark 12:28-34

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: