Monday, March 21, 2022

Monday of the Third Week

Reflection

During Lent, this time of particular reflection on ourselves in our own faith journeys, we must find the ordinary, mundane and everyday things that God is calling for us to do and act.  In the first reading, from 2 Kings, we read that there was a man named Naaman who was a great warrior from the kingdom of Aram, only there was one small catch—he was a leper.  When he had gone to visit the great prophet in Israel, Elisha, he had been told to pursue a task that seemed so ordinary it could not possibly work.  Eventually after the insistence of his servants he goes and washes in the Jordan as he was told. His servants heard the words of Elisha and said “if the prophet had told you to do something extraordinary, would you not have done it? All the more now, since he said to you, ‘wash and be clean,’ should you do as he said.” They heard the call.

As we continue on our faith journeys and reflect to ourselves: is this the time to think when has God called me to do something mundane or ordinary? Have I heeded His word when He called? When I think of God calling me to do His work I think of a simple analogy, a call coming in on a landline telephone.  I think whenever He’s calling me, its as if He were actually calling me. I don’t always hear the ringing but He’s calling me, and I just need to answer the call.

Prayer

Dear Lord, allow me to hear Your word when You call me.  Allow me to continue Your holy work for all of Your children.  Lord, guide me when I answer Your calls. Amen.

Hank Kelly, ’22


Scripture
First Reading: 2 Kings 5:1-15b
Psalm 42:2-3; 43:3-4
Gospel: Luke 4:24-30

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: