Wednesday, March 16, 2022

 Wednesday of the Second Week

Reflection

I hear the whispers of the crowd, that frighten me from every side… but my trust is in you, O LORD. I say, “You are my God”. Ps. 31

We hear whispers and shouts that frighten us daily, but do we trust in the Lord? Do we know in our hearts that God is with us in the worst circumstances? That we are never alone but loved completely?

In a conversation about death, my dad used a simple illustration that I’d recognize: “For me, it’s simple trust that God will take care of me, in the way a young child holds his father’s hand and follows, not knowing where they are going.” I was privileged to be with both of my elderly parents for the month of their dying process and in the hour of their deaths. Their witness then was what I’d witnessed in their lives.

“My trust is in you” says the psalmist, and from Jeremiah, “But my trust is in you, O Lord…you are my God.” Jesus himself is clear about God being the Father who has prepared a place for us, who is with us always. Jockeying for position and privilege have no place in God’s kingdom, as it “shall not be so among you.” (Matthew 20). The disciples are to imitate Jesus in serving rather than being served.

The prophet, the psalmist, and Jesus reveal the God who is Love, Source and Sustainer of all Goodness. His is the hand I can hold and trust.

Prayer

Save me, O Lord, in Your kindness. In Your hands is my destiny. 

Jan Hancock, M’12, P ’99 and ’09, Member of the Worshipping Community


Scripture
First Reading: Jeremiah 18:18-20
Psalm 31:5-6, 14-16
Gospel: Matthew 20:17-28


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: