Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Tuesday of the Second Week
Reflection
Are we all Pharisees trying not to be? 

Matthew’s Gospel story today is about Jesus’ warning that heeding the law taught by religious leaders is good and right, but following their example is not the same thing. It was an easy leap for me to think of examples in our Christian church and heritage that exemplify the contradictions of faith taught versus faith practiced. Not so easy was the next step of identifying, in myself and others, the ways we do not live the faith we hear and profess. We don’t practice what we preach.

When I’m frustrated or angry with the behavior of others, behavior that is disrespectful, what do I do? Do I remember that God loves them as He does me? Perhaps I am wrestling with my inner-Pharisee and my unrecognized, but culturally present, sense of entitlement.

Am I a Pharisee who judges myself more important than others, or do I act as one of the least and in service to others? Do I think about the added burdens the other person has in his or her life? Do my words and actions dismiss or support my neighbor?

Isaiah, in these verses, presents God as tired of animal sacrifices, festivals, incense, and worthless offerings, asking who told them these were pleasing to God. Instead, what God wants is for His people to “put away your misdeeds…cease doing evil, learn to do good, make justice your aim.”  In the same vein, Psalm 50 points to the vanity of people professing covenants and commandments while offering sacrifices God neither needs nor wants. Rather, “those who offer praise as a sacrifice honor me.” We’re reminded again to do what is important to God, not what we think looks impressive.

Prayer
Thank You, Lord, for offering Grace and Truth in our hearts. May we become what we receive and live as Jesus taught. In His name, we pray. Amen.

Jan Hancock, M’12, P’99, P09, Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 1:10, 16-20
Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21, 23
Gospel: Matthew 23:1-12


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: