Saturday, February 24, 2018

Saturday of the First Week
Reflection
What does God ask of us? Today's readings offer us rich insight, and yet, I almost feel they can be a trap if you're not reading carefully. In the first reading, Moses reveals that if we follow the commandments of God, we will be God's people. That is, if “we observe them with all (our) heart…and soul.” The Gospel tells us to love our enemies and "be perfect...as your heavenly Father is perfect." Perfect?  Sure. So if we just follow the commandments and always do what's right, and in fact, be "perfect," then God will love us wholeheartedly. Easy.
 
Except that it’s not. In fact, it is impossible, for I always seem to be tripping on my ego, my insecurities, my blind spots, and my large warts. We can easily get caught up in this kind of nonsense, feeling unworthy somehow or that the bar is set impossibly high. Why bother trying for something if we can’t possibly attain it? And like that, we hold ourselves back from all God is offering us.
 
We are human and fallible and messy and God knew that when He created us. I have said to our children on a number of occasions, “I don't expect you to be perfect. I just expect you to try to be the best *you* you can be.” This is possible for our kids to understand only when they know we’re there for them, engaged and ready to talk and share and listen. But we, as parents, need to hold up our end of the bargain in order for them to trust in their potential.
 
It occurs to me that this is all God is asking of us. Simply this: God wants to be in a real relationship with us. God wants us to know we are loved beyond measure.  He wants us to rely on Him, and trust in Him, and in return, He wants us to love others in the same way, even those with whom we disagree.  And no, we’re not going to be perfect at it, but God’s goodness is offered to "the bad and the good...the just and the unjust." This love comes without strings attached for all of us – and the power of that love, if we choose to believe in it, engage with it, and let it form us, is what will give us the strength to live rightly, even in the face of suffering, pain, and difficulty. For we are all made in God's image, even if we are perfectly imperfect. 
 
 
Prayer
Good and gracious God, don’t let me cower in my imperfections, but help me to remember with You at my side, with You as my strength, the love I bring into the world can be transformational.

Heidi St. Peter, 96, Assistant Director of Academic Support


 
Scripture
First Reading: Deuteronomy 26:16-19
Psalm 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8
Gospel: Matthew 5:43-48

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: