Monday, February 19, 2018

Monday of the First Week
Reflection
While growing up Catholic, my mother would call us to the kitchen table on Ash Wednesday and remind us that we had work to do. Ash Wednesday marked our foreheads as the day we were to examine our indulgences and decide what we would give up as a form of prayer for those who were suffering in this world. This was our Lenten charge, our Catholic duty.  Oreos. Bonanza. Scooter pies. Walt Disney. Saturday morning cartoons. Each decision was unique to the child. All of them serious and real.  

As Catholic children in formation, what good did it serve us to engage in such serious business, to enlist our imaginations and offer something up for those less fortunate than ourselves?  What purpose did it serve to learn to let go of our stinginess by giving something up until it hurt?  In these special sacrifices, I’m convinced that’s where we learned to grow our hearts.

Today’s readings remind me of these early compassion practices. Today we are gathered at the table and placed on alert.  Preparation for Easter requires discipline and action as we pay profound attention to all of God’s children in the world.  The readings today say that the time again is now to give up our selfishness, to give over to selflessness, and to give in to the ways of the Lord. 

Lent proceeded. Upstairs alone in my bedroom suffering over the sounds of laughter over
Lassie coming from the family room downstairs, I offered up my pain as I’d been instructed to do. And when I closed my eyes and imagined the people I was suffering for, my pain suddenly turned into love. There was no separation between us. Giver and receiver were one.  

Prayer
Dear God, may I join You?  May I become one with You in Your words: “Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters, that you do unto Me.”  Amen.

Antonia Messuri, Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and
Director of Academic and Accessibility Services


Scripture
First Reading: Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18
Psalm 19:8-10, 15
Gospel: Matthew 25:31-46


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: