Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wednesday of Holy Week
Reflection
Reading the Gospel today, I find myself crumbling as I hear Judas say, “Surely it is not I, Rabbi?” It’s Holy Week and every year I have high hopes for my Lenten journey—new resolve, renewed devotion…and most years I fall very short.  It’s all the little moments, for me, that add up to my betrayal, my choice to walk away from Jesus when I most want to be near.

There is real comfort and such intense love in the readings today.  No matter how great the suffering and loss, we will not be abandoned.  Jesus walked our walk, He has lived our pain.  The longing and searching for our God will not go unnoticed.  We will be given exactly what we need. 

Maybe we all have our Judas moments.  We fail.  We sin.  We walk away when we desperately need to draw near.   Easter is almost here.  We can all rise again.  We can bring our brokenness, our suffering, our longing with us this Good Friday and we will be given the chance to be renewed in the beauty and Light of Easter. 

“See, you lowly ones, and be glad; you who seek God, may your hearts revive!”

Prayer
Jesus, open my heart.  Help me to see You in the midst of my everyday life that I might choose to draw near to You in every way.  Amen.

Meeghan Bird Matarazzo, ’97, Member of the Worshipping Community

 
Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 69:8-10, 21-22, 31, 33-34
Gospel: Matthew 26:14-25

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

 

No comments: