Monday, March 21, 2016


Monday of Holy Week
Reflection
In today’s Scripture readings for the Monday of Holy Week, the theme of God’s Spirit spoke to me. In the first reading, it is said, “Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my Spirit.” Then, in the Gospel, we are reminded of God’s great power in raising Lazarus from the dead. I couldn’t help but think of a song lyric from one of my favorite songs that proclaims “the same power that rose Jesus from the dead, the same power that commands the dead to wake, lives in us, lives in us.” Both the Bible passages and this song remind us of how powerful God truly is as He worked His miracles raising both Jesus and Lazarus from the dead. But what these sources also remind us is that this same power, God’s Spirit, lives inside our own hearts. God has given us His Spirit and works through us to be His hands and feet on earth. God’s tremendous power lives on through each and every one of us as we work “to open the eyes of the blind” not by our own ability and strength but by God’s power. Let us this week be inspired and humbled by the truth that God’s Spirit dwells in our hearts.

Prayer
Lord, as we begin this Holy week, please open our hearts to be filled with Your Spirit. Please help us to desire to be the servant of whom You are pleased with as You work through us according to Your will. We ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Allison Shea, ’16


 
Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 42:1-7
Psalm 27:1-3, 13-14
Gospel: John 12:1-11

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

 

No comments: