Thursday, March 10, 2016

Thursday of the Fourth Week
Reflection
Today’s readings remind me that we are all lost at some point in our lives and in need of guidance. They also serve as a reminder to put my trust in the Lord. In the first reading, from Exodus, God is reminding Moses that His people have turned away and that Moses needs to bring them back into the light. God is portrayed here as an angry God, filled with anger because His people have forgotten Him. At the end of the passage, we are reminded that above all else, God is merciful. It takes some convincing on Moses’ part, but in the end, the people are spared. In a similar way, the Gospel reading from John reminds us that Jesus was sent to earth by God the Father for a purpose. Jesus is asking us to put our trust in Him in the same way that the people from the first reading put their trust in Moses, “For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed Me, because he wrote about me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

As the Lenten journey draws to a close, we are reminded that salvation is near; we just need to believe.  A verse a few chapters before today’s Gospel is a perfect reminder of this: “God so loved the world that he gave His only-begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in Him might have eternal life” (John 3:16).  As I reflect on these readings, I am reminded to put my faith and trust in the Lord and also think about the people in my life who encourage me and remind me to look to God for guidance and trust in Him.

Prayer
Lord, help me to continue to place my trust in You in all that I do.

Matt Seklecki, ’11, Assistant Director of Admission
 

Scripture
First Reading: Exodus 32:7-14
Psalm 106:19-23
Gospel: John 5:31-47
 
Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website
 
 

No comments: