Saturday, February 17, 2024

Saturday after Ash Wednesday

Reflection

In today’s Gospel, Jesus encourages Levi, a sinner, to leave his “post” and follow Him.  I interpret this literally and figuratively.  In my mind, I see Levi’s post like a little toll booth-he is inside of four walls- which have closed him off to others.  Levi’s booth is also a spiritual barrier he has put up around himself which prevents him from following in the ways of the Lord.  

Wisely, Levi seizes the opportunity to begin anew.  His encounter with Jesus breaks his barrier.  This makes me wonder:  What is my “booth” - the things that close me off from getting closer to God?  When I need to find more compassion, more patience and more love for others, God often sends a person who calls me out of my routine somehow and reminds me to find a better way.  How often do I listen to those calls?  Like Levi, I can choose to heed those calls. I can be willing to leave my post- where I’ve been enclosed by sinful actions or a selfish mindset and reset.  Like Levi, I can celebrate those that call to me, because they bring me closer to walking in God’s Truth.

Prayer

O Lord, thank you for those people you send who become my lights in the darkness and remind me how to walk in your ways. Help me to be a repairer and a restorer for others who need light as you are for me. Amen.

Amy Rock-Wardwell
Class of 1996

Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 58:9b-14
Psalm 86:1-6
Gospel: Luke 5:27-32

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

 

No comments: