Thursday, April 7, 2022

Thursday of the Fifth Week

Reflection

God is making a covenant with Abraham.  It is not only with and about Abraham, but it is OUR storyline.  This reading is communicating a pattern of God’s relationship with humanity.  God’s message to Abraham is God’s message to each of us who are on a faith journey: “My covenant with you is this …’I will maintain my covenant with you…throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God…On your part, you…must keep my covenant”. 

Sometimes, in our daily routines, we tend to feel alone, frustrated, and hopeless.   We seek freedom in our ideologies; we journey without direction, place our trust in institutions, and find our meaning in bank accounts.  BUT the biblical pattern repeats to us the message of relationship: ‘You are loved.  You are unique.  You are free.  You are going somewhere.  Your life has meaning.  God promises to be our God; our role is to TRUST HIM.

Our relationship with God is not a biblical side story but is CENTRAL.  GOD calls and loves us.  He comes to us in the sad and tragic events of human life and in the ordinary and wonderful experiences we enjoy.  He comes to us “disguised as our life”.  In our response of love, compassion, empathy, and reaching out, we discover our meaning, our true selves in RELATIONSHIP to God.

Prayer

God of Abraham, help me to believe and to trust in YOU.  Give me the courage to recognize YOU in my daily life and to love YOU in those whom You send my way.  May YOU be my GOD.  May I be YOUR chosen one.  Amen.

Inspired by Richard Rohr OFM

Janice Couture, Member of the Worshipping Community



Scripture

First Reading: Genesis 17:3-9

Psalm 105:4-9

Gospel: John 8:51-59


Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: