Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Ash Wednesday
Reflection
I am not perfect. With the busyness of everyday life, it is far too easy for me to get stuck in a routine of waking up, going to classes, going to work, doing homework, and going to bed. Suddenly, it will be 11 P.M. and I will be almost asleep, only to realize that I hadn’t prayed that day. I will utter something quick and repetitive, as if prayer is something I need to check off my to-do list.

With the start of Lent, I hope to take the time to reflect on ways in which I can grow closer to God. This is really emphasized in the first reading with “Even now, says the LORD, return to me with your whole heart.” By doing so, I won’t be so preoccupied with the things of this world and by routine. I will instead shift my attention to God. Doing so whole-heartedly will involve really committing myself to it. This may look like waking up earlier so that I can read my Bible or devotional, or praying silently as I walk to class. These small changes will certainly make a big difference. 

By wearing ashes today, we acknowledge our sinfulness. We must admit my own shortcomings and wrongdoings. Yet, we also may recognize that the Resurrection is coming. Our sins will be forgiven; hope is here. We have an opportunity to start over again each day and reflect on how fortunate we are that Jesus died for us. I don’t want to allow my being busy to be an excuse for not sharing in my relationship with Christ. It instead should be a reason as to why I need to focus on Him all the more.

Prayer
Lord, we thank You for this day to recognize not only our sinfulness, but also Your forgiveness. We pray that we may return to You with our whole hearts. Amen!

Maddie Newman, ’20


Scripture
First Reading: Joel 2:12-18
Psalm 51:3-6b, 12-14, 17
Second Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:20—6:2
Gospel: Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: