Sunday, February 21, 2021

 First Sunday of Lent

Reflection

And the angels ministered to Him…

There are many times this year where I have felt to be in the desert, or tempted by negativity and polarization in our world. Sometimes, I’ve even felt “among the wild beasts” as friends or co-workers express deep anger or fear on all sides of today’s issues. Each time, my own anxieties and doubts are triggered. How do we come back? Where is God in my own heart and in the hearts of God’s people? These questions lead me to greater awareness. I adjust my lens and recognize things that were previously going unnoticed: the soothing and wise words of an online yoga instructor, the uplifting kindness of my new online flute teacher, or even a commercial celebrating the determination of a Paralympic athlete. They are like angels ministering to me; kind and loving people who seem to see with the eyes of God. It reconnects me to all that is good and sacred. And from that place, I am able to find my way back to ministering to others.


Prayer

Spirit of Love, thank you for the angels in our lives, whether or not we notice them. May our desert experiences open our eyes to Christ’s presence in and around us and may we become kingdom-builders because of it.

Marianne Strayton, ’98


Scripture

First Reading: Genesis 9:8-15

Psalm 25:4-5, 6-7, 8-9

Second Reading:  1 Peter 3:18-22

Gospel: Mark 1:12-15

 

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: