Thursday, April 6, 2017

Thursday of the Fifth Week
Reflection
In today’s reading from Genesis, God made His covenant with Abraham. God promised to make Abraham the “father of a host of nations” and be the God of Abraham and his descendants. In return, Abraham and his descendants needed to worship God and refrain from putting anything before Him. The beauty of this Scripture passage is that this covenant extends all the way to each of us as Christians, and it begs the question: Are we holding up our end of the deal?

At my best, I hold up my end of the deal. During periods of time that I pray and reflect more, I am a more thoughtful and caring husband and friend. At work, I have found that ten minutes of prayer in the afternoon is a better remedy than the caffeine jolt from a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, I am not always at my best. Far too often, I get lost in the hustle, and I forget to pray or miss Mass on Sunday. I may even become grouchy with my family or friends.

During those times when I am not my best, I have found that St. Ignatius of Loyola’s daily Examen is key to centering myself and putting God first. I pray that this Examen helps you “hold up your end of the deal.”
Prayer
Quiet yourself and become aware of God’s presence.
Review your day. What were you grateful for today? Where did you fall short?
Thank God for His blessings and ask His assistance in the rest of your day.

Alex Boesch, Member of the Worshipping Community

Scripture
First Reading: Genesis 17:3-9
Psalm 105:4-9
Gospel: John 8:51-59

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: