Wednesday, April 9, 2014


Wednesday of the Fifth Week
Reflection
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego—intriguing names I remember from the story and song I learned as a child in Sunday School. Their experience with King Nebuchadnezzar stayed with me because they completely trusted God. These men sang thanks and praise to God throughout their ordeal. The Lord’s angels might be sent to deliver them from the fiery furnace or they might be burned to death. Either way, they belonged to God. They trusted God completely and were grateful to Him.

Jesus tells His disciples in the Gospel reading, “If you remain in my word, you will truly be My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” But many seeing Jesus did not trust that God had sent His Son, nor were they grateful for His presence among them. They were trying to kill Him “because my word has no room among you.”

 Do we trust what Jesus tells us throughout the Gospels? God loves each of us as sons and daughters, and God provides us with the spiritual nourishment we need. Loving Spirit-Creator-Jesus in return and treating each other as brothers and sisters is the truth of who we are, of what God wants. We can trust that whether God delivers us from difficult circumstances or weeps with us as we endure, we belong to God. We know the truth that nothing and no one can separate us from the love of God.
 
Prayer
Holy Spirit, make me aware of Your presence. Thank You for my life and loving me. Help me love my brothers and sisters as Jesus taught us. I pray for an open and trusting heart.

Jan Hancock, M’12, P’99, P’09, Member of the Worshipping Community


Scripture
First Reading: Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95
Psalm: Daniel 3:52-56
Gospel: John 8:31-42

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: