Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday after Ash Wednesday
Reflection
People often ask me why I am a Catholic. They seem surprised that in this “modern, secular world, an intelligent person like yourself” would adhere to “old-fashioned” or “out-of date” principles and practices in an institution, that like any human enterprise, has sometimes made mistakes. I admitat times these questions do give me pause; “Why do I follow in God’s truth?” Then I think of this: the way of the Lord is a path that recognizes the value in each of us. How can it be “old-fashioned” to speak with respect to all of our brothers and sisters? How can it be “out-of-date” to care for those around us in need? How can we allow people to be excluded from our community because of our own imperfect perceptions of who we think they are? In this modern world, the way of the Lord gives us time in our busy lives to be still and listen for God. Like He did with Levi, God reaches out to each of us. We have simply to get up and follow Him. When we do, there is a beautiful fellowship awaitinga banquet in a garden, full of light and peace, where we meet each other in joyful celebration with Him. And so I say to the world, that is why I am a Catholic.
 
Prayer
Give me the strength O Lord to walk in Your truth today. Help me to see the needs for kind words and selfless acts that are all around me. Help me to hear and answer each of Your calls today and every day. Amen.
 
Amy Rock-Wardwell, ’96, Member of the Worshipping Community


 
Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 58:9b-14
Psalm 86:1-6
Gospel: Luke 5:27-32



Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

No comments: