Thursday, March 6, 2014


Thursday after Ash Wednesday
Reflection
As the Lenten season begins, the readings today challenge us to make a series of choices that will set the tone for this season and, hopefully, transform our outlook on life. The initial choices are easy – life is certainly the choice over death, and God is the choice over the world. So, to start Lent, we reaffirm our goals to pursue life and to pursue God. But how can we really do that? The answer is to keep God’s commandments, “heeding His voice, and holding fast to Him.” What a difficult task! Here is a perspective that I think the readings provide. First, the idea of relationship is critical to understanding God. If we can be conscious of our decisions and know that each one of them affects our relationship with God, then following God’s commandments becomes essential. Second, discipline is at the center of these readings and the season of Lent. When Jesus says, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me,” He is calling us to be disciplined. So, in forming an approach to this Lenten season, I offer that God is calling us to recognize the relationship that we have with Him, and to strengthen that relationship by being disciplined in our decision-making. Remember throughout this season the precious relationship that you have with God, and remember that good, disciplined choices will transform you into the best version of yourself.

Prayer
Lord, be with me during this Lent, and help me to place my relationship with You at the very center of my life. I pray that You will give me the strength to take up my cross daily, knowing that through good, disciplined choices I will come to grow in my understanding of You, and my understanding of myself. Amen.
 
Tim Nagy, ‘15


Scripture
First Reading: Deuteronomy 30: 15-20
Psalm 1:1-4, 6
Gospel: Luke 9:22-25

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

1 comment:

Anna said...

Tim, I really appreciated your insights on relationship and discipline in our decision-making. I especially appreciate how you connected both relationship and discipline as being central in transforming ourselves this Lenten season. Thanks for your thoughtfulness and reflection!