Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesday of Holy Week
Reflection
The two readings from today are opposites. The first reading from Isaiah shows exactly what Judas was not thinking, which is what I think all Christians should be thinking — that God is our help and always at our side. Then the Gospel recounts the infamous story of Judas’ betrayal of Jesus. These two readings are grouped together to show the two ends of the spectrum of relationship with God. The reading from Isaiah illustrates the close relationship, while the story of Judas includes the betrayal, denunciation, and separation from God.

Christians are called to live at Isaiah’s end of the spectrum, where they acknowledge the gifts that the Lord has given them and they live with the Lord at their side. I am sure Judas, a disciple of Jesus, knew this passage and was at this end of the spectrum at one point, however, he became corrupted by the desire for money, and that clouded his mind into thinking that he did not need Jesus. Christians need to be aware and to have God on their minds so that they are not susceptible to these types of temptations.
Prayer
Lord, help me to realize that You are my help, and that You are always at my side. Do not let me stray from Your flock as Judas did, and protect me from the temptations of the world. Amen.

Lead me, guide me along the way,
For if You lead me I cannot stray.
Lord, let me walk each day with Thee,
Lead me, oh Lord, lead me.
Traditional Ignatian Hymn

Tim Nagy, ‘15


Scripture
First Reading: Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 69:8-10, 21bcd-22, 31, 33-34
Gospel: Matthew 26:14-25

Daily Scripture readings can be found online at the USCCB website

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thanks Tim for your thoughtful insights in your reflection. Your reflection tied in really well with Fr. Ray's homily yesterday at Daily Mass where he talked about Judas and Peter as two ends of the spectrum that you mentioned as well. Judas and Peter both betrayed Jesus, but Peter was broken hearted and was sorrowful for his denial of Jesus. As you point out, we are reassured by Isaiah that God is always at our side. Oh, and I love that you included Lead Me, Guide Me at the end! Thanks Tim!